Monday, May 5, 2008

My Super Weekend

Well, it started off that my parents came and picked up BOTH children to spend the night in the camper at the river! They left our house about 12 noon and Jamie and I honestly stared at each other for about 15 minutes b/c we had NO idea what to do with our time! We had done all the yard work in both yards and piddled in the garden on Friday. We had NOTHING to do. We didn't even know what to talk about. It was kinda scary and wierd!! So, we rode to Jackson for a bite to eat and yep, some beer in preparation for our night out with Shelley and Wade. (that evening is a whole different blog that I'm leaving up to Shelley!)

Anyway, shortly after lunchtime, Jamie and I decide to pack a cooler and sit on the deck in the sunshine!! Something we NEVER do! So, we did.. and talked and talked and talked. I bet money that was something that we haven't done in 5 or 6 years!! At first, we didn't know what to talk about that wouldn't violate our self made rule-- no kid talk! Then, it came out.. and boy did it..Amazingly, we sat there and talked, drank, and listened to the radio for at least 5 straight hours..

To some of you, this may not sound like such a great weekend or a fun way to spend your time. BUT it was the best day that we as a married couple have had. If you've been married long enough and especially if you have kids-- you know that the "couple time" seems to somehow disappear! All we ever talk about is the kids or money! We aired and discovered that our only one big problem in our marriage is the stress of raising children.. No, don't get me wrong, we weren't on the verge of divorce or anything like that, but we had just lost sight of US. A couple that loves one another. That look that was/is so deep when we stare at each other. We didn't know how to talk about random stuff. This was something that we, like many others, had vowed to never let happen. We swore that we would always go out perodically, always be sporatic, etc.. Well, that easier said that done. I can't tell you how to avoid this from happening. I think it happens to everybody!

We said to one another a thousand times Saturday and yesterday, "I have had SO much fun with you this weekend!" I KNOW now that our 'spark' IS still alive, we just tend to lose sight of it from time to time. We KNOW now that we can do anything and face anything as a couple. I HIGHLY recommend any or ALL of you to try this.. Don't plan for the kids to go away so you can clean or cut grass or stuff like that. This was a free therapy lesson for us. One that was priceless. You don't have to got to the beach or any elaborate vacation spot.. just go outside and relax. You'll be surprised at how it makes you both feel about yourselves and each other.

I think now that I have a new outlook on my life. Well, until the kids completely STRESS us out again!! I have always tried to be thankful for Jamie and our lives that we've made together, but now I feel rejuvenated and I feel wonderful about me and my husband. I remember now why I love this man SO dang much! Ten years together, 2 WILD kids, about 20 extra pounds each (at least), and ALOT of debt (HAHA)-- as our first dance at our wedding said, "You're Still the One!" and I KNOW with every ounce in me, he IS still the one!! He IS my soul mate, the one God sent to me! The one I will grow old and deaf with!! And it is with GREAT pride that I can say, I am Mrs.Jamie Bryant!

Golly, I love that man!

3 comments:

Mandy said...

Why do you think we haven't had kids yet? Just kidding! Glad ya'll had that time to reconnect! Even kidless marriages need that time though. Life just consumes everything and you forget to enjoy your blessings.

Tina said...

You're right.. Any marriage is a constant work in progress!

Keri said...

There is just nothing like marrying your soulmate - I'm glad you have yours and were able to have such an awesome couple weekend together. I saw Shelley's blog and the pics - ya'll might have had too much fun!