Monday, April 14, 2008

Miss Karley Breann Bryant



Jamie and I were on no birth control for about 2 1/2 years when we finally got the news. We had one confirmed miscarriage and a fertility drug (Clomid) prescription in hand when Jamie told me I was pregnant. And yep, he was right!! So, under the advice of my OB/GYN, I started a course of yucky drugs to 'prevent miscarriage'. Did that for about 2 months. Then we were out of the woods, or so we thought. I was due September 13th, 2003. It was about July when I started swelling terribly and my blood pressure was CRAZY! I was admitted for close observation, blood tests, and non-stress tests twice. So, then on August 1 (my birthday!) I was checked and found that I was carrying VERY low and the Pre-eclampsia had set in and wasn't going anywhere. I was taken out of work and put on bed rest. We traveled to Franklin about 2 times per week for Non-Stress tests and at least once per week for blood work. The good part of this was I got an ultrasound at least once weekly for about 2 months. So, I got to see more of her than most moms get. And all the while Karley was fine. Never under any stress. Just killing me.
On September 2nd, I went for the check up alone. Jamie had been to almost every one, and I told him to work, I'd run right up there and be right back. No big deal at all.. Well, Karley had other plans! At my appt., my doctor said, "I've had enough, I'm not going to continue to put you through this anymore! I'm gonna deliver you tonight." We had become VERY close to him at this point and he and Jamie were on great terms. So, he said "Go home and get Jamie from work and come right back!" So, I did..

I will spare you the minute by minute details, but I progressed rapidly and a good amount. I was convinced to try this drug free. Jamie and I did the Birthing Classes and I had already used the Exercise Ball alot during the pregnancy to relieve that 'low' pressure. We planned to do breathing techniques and I would do walking and dancing techniques. Well, that started downhill when my MD wouldn't let me out of the bed AT ALL. Now some moms don't want to get up and dance around, etc. But I really did! I just knew it would help. Well, I had 26 hours of labor with about 3 hours of a decent epidural before that quit on me too.. There I sat at 8 cm.. NOTHING! Well, that was some what fine until my temperature starting shooting up and I started to bleed heavily. My BP was already too dang high. So, he made the decision to get me in the OR for a C-section right now!! I spoke to Jamie and my family about the risks and the position we were in with my health. I MADE Memama come pray with us in the middle of the madness. And, there we went. It was so quick! He had two complete OR teams come in. He said he would take whoever got there first-so needless to say, there was an OR full of folks. Looking back now, they all seemed to be Angels. He was an Angel. At 8:06 pm on September 3, 2003, I finally had my baby girl. Completely healthy. A tiny 6 pound 10 ounce 19 and a half inches long baby girl. Who still at this point, I wasn't aware that Jamie and I had agreed on her first name. When all of a sudden one of the nurses called her KARLEY. Yeah, Jamie named her and told all of them. Her middle name didn't come until the next afternoon.. Anyway, the MD told Jamie afterwards that I probably would have never had her--that turkey had twisted and was face up and locked in my hip. And to this day, she does nothing easy. She is still full of drama. But we finally had our baby girl. Our 'peanut'!

1 comment:

Keri said...

Wow! Sounds like you went through a lot with Miss Karley. I know she is worth every second of it.
Soooo cute too!